The International Brazilian Opera Company (IBOC) is a New York-based non-profit (501c3) organization with a mission to support the creation and development of new operatic repertoire combining ideas from Brazilian and other international artists while providing training and career development opportunities for young artists.
Diversity is embedded in our DNA. A group of professionals of Latinx, African-American, Immigrant, and Jewish origins founded IBOC to welcome as creative collaborators artists from underrepresented cultures.
By inviting artistic contributions from traditions not yet embraced by opera, we open participation to a wider audience. We provide an alternative pipeline to new artists, a path from creative seed to production premiere that is alive with innovation, excitement, and emotional impact.
The three pillars of our mission:
–Creation of new repertoire.
–Education and professional training.
We have a broad view of opera. Our greatest challenge is to connect humans in a dramatic ritual that embraces all of our shared experiences.
* Our by-laws determine that Simple Consensus shall be used for decision-making.
2019: IBOC receives Guide Star Platinum Seal of Transparency.
IBOC is ranked in the top 0.5% of USA nonprofits in terms of transparency.
Thank you for joining us.
Opera is a community effort. IBOC is at the cutting edge of providing new solutions for the live arts world.
Opera is unparalleled in its union of art forms. Innovation is a natural part of its evolution.
Four stage development plan for new productions:
1. Curate creative collaborations and creative feedback in the writing and development process of a new repertoire.
2. Concert performances of new works for revision and audio recordings.
3. Staging production, including DVD recording.
4. Touring production and licensing.
Many opera companies throughout the world have access to 21st-century performance technology but are still largely tied to the 19th-century repertoire. We believe that this is a great moment for the creation of an innovative repertoire that is relevant to third-millennium audiences. We aim to channel the aesthetic contributions of a broad historical and cultural background into a new way of perceiving the genre.
- We are creating an international network of artists and producers, aiming to establish a touring platform that will be usable to all creators while connecting with new audiences.
- We are experimenting with broad contemporary theater structures, seeking the rituals that once originated drama.
- Our focus is on original operas starting with small casts and intimate performances and gradually developing into larger projects.
- We are creating portable operas that are can be produced without enormous budgets.
- We are moving towards the future of stage directing.
- We are committed to creating a global opera theater that interconnects different nations. By establishing a working relationship with the Brazilian branch of the company we plan to develop a collaboration between artists based in NY and Brazil and also travel in both directions with full productions.