The International Brazilian Opera Company (IBOC) is a New York based non-profit organization with a mission to support the creation and development of new operatic repertoire that combines ideas from both Brazilian and international artists while providing an educational structure for new talent to emerge.
The three pillars of our mission:
* Our by-laws determine that simple consensus should be used in the decision-making process through the different units.
We understand opera as a community building effort. As we create an environment for composers to develop new works, we are bringing together professionals and amateurs to collaborate on full productions. We are educating new performers and providing opportunities for experimentation to seasoned ones. Our Brazilian Chorus and Orchestras have the dual educational goal of Musical practice and Brazilian culture knowledge.
IBOC services the Brazilian community by providing a positive image of the culture in a highly accomplished and professional environment. IBOC services the international audience by providing content that is fresh and relevant in a production environment of innovative sustainable solutions to the genre.
We believe that Opera is the multimedia event of the future. The genre unites all art forms, providing an experience that has no parallel.
IBOC aims to provide three new productions a year within the next five years.
Four stage development plan for new productions:
1. Curate creative collaborations and creative feedback in the writing and development process of new repertoire.
2. Concert Performances of new works for revision and audio recordings.
3 . Staging production, including DVD recording.
4. Touring production
Many opera companies throughout the world have access 21st-century performance technology but are still largely tied to the 19th-century repertoire. We believe that this is a great moment for the creation of innovative repertoire that is relevant to third-millennium audiences. We aim to channel the aesthetic contributions of a broad historical and cultural background into a new way of perceiving the genre.
- We are experimenting with broad contemporary theater structures, seeking the rituals that once originated drama.
- Our focus is on original operas starting with small casts and intimate performances and gradually developing to larger projects
- We are creating portable operas that can travel anywhere and inspire all audiences at affordable prices
- We are moving towards the future of stage directing
- We are committed to creating a global opera theater that interconnects different nations. By establishing a working relationship with the Brazilian branch of the company we plan to develop a collaboration between artists based in NY and Brazil and also travel in both directions with full productions
- We are committed to creating more with less
- We want to challenge the limits of the theatrical experience, creating immersive experiences and bringing artists closer to their audiences.
- We are bringing concepts from a wide range of realms to the opera genre. This includes film sound design, pop culture, Virtual Reality technologies and new philosophies of performance.