An opera by João MacDowell
Monodrama in 2 Acts – 1h 20min.
For solo mezzo soprano
Languages: English, Portuguese and Spanish (Italian in development)
Orchestration: 2fl, 2ob, 2cl, 2bs, 2 hr, 2 tp, 3tb, timp, 1 perc, strings, plus soundscapes playback
– Piano and electronics
– Electronics and cello
– Piano, flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, timpani, percussion, string quintet, plus soundscapes playback.
Projection art and soundscapes available for licensing and new productions.
1. Mezzo, piano and electronics
2. Mezzo, piano, cello and electronics
3. Mezzo, cello and electronics (Virtual Plastic Orchestra)
2 Flutes (2nd doubles on piccolo)
2 Oboes (2nd doubles on English Horn)
2 Clarinets in Bb
2 Trumpets in C
Timpani (4 kettles)
Live Electronics: Soundscapes playback
Violins I, II
Note about Soundscapes:
Standard stereo audio files and 5.1 Dolby surround are available for performances.
Audio stems for open tracks apropriate for larger configuration systems with up to 12 independent outputs, plus Max-MSP software programing, can be provided upon request.
Plastic Flowers is about broken hearts in a fabricated universe. We all want love and affection. Virtual reality and promises of instant connection are bound to fall into frustration, for the very nature of the experience. They can be made of paper, or silk, perfectly beautiful in Japanese ornaments, or gathering dust in shelves of Dollar Stores. They are all Plastic Flowers, artificial paradises.
* Check Brazilian Portuguese version.
• Orchestration for chamber orchestra or variable ensemble including electronics available upon request.
• Originally in English and Spanish – Portuguese, Spanish and Italian librettos available upon request.
Composed in Rio de Janeiro, Brasília and New York, June-December, 2012.
You must be logged in to post a comment.